This, dear reader, is a small summary of a road trip in the South West United States, a few photos from our driving holiday. Travelling the tourist traps including Arizona, Utah, Nevada and California. A couple of hints for you not found in any tourist book…
- Romantic visions of driving on Route 66 have been completely dismissed by how mind numbingly boring it was to actually drive a part of it. Even the signs on Route 66 urged you not to stop but just carry on.
- Gas stations in America are the greatest source of food and fizzy pop.
- Friendly dogs at gas stations will follow you across 6 lanes of main interstate traffic, mainly because you are the greatest source of food.
- Americans cannot make tea but make up for it with corn dogs.
- It is easy to get particularly sunburned in Monument Valley where there is no shade.
- American customs, immigration and TSA officers obviously think a pasty faced sunburned Englishman looks like a terrorist and should be searched at every opportunity.
- Flagstaff (Lowell Observatory) has great dark skies.
- Las Vegas is over rated.
- Meteor Crater is better than expected.
- The Grand Canyon is big, really big.
- The Hoover Dam is an impressive engineering marvel.
- British Awfulways, formerly known as British Airways, will forget to feed, water and entertain you, either that or they just don’t care. I am not yet sure which it is.
Saying that, the South West United States has a lot to offer and absolutely should be on your travel bucket list.